Enrolling in College can be a bit daunting. The documents listed below will help with step-by-step instructions.
Best of all, come to our Veterans' Support Center to make use of the experience and knowledge of the Student Veteran staff who will walk you through the complete process! We are here to help you! CALL US! 808-245-8391
- Transition check list
- ACE comparison tool for evaluation of transcripts
- Don't know what Major to Choose?
Please click on the tab below to expand to read
Your transcripts provide a description of military schooling and work history in civilian language. It serves as a counseling tool for academic and career counselors in advising service members and veterans. It serves as an aid in preparing resumes and explaining Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, Air Force, National Guard and Navy work experience to civilian employers.
Your military training may also equate to college credits which could save you time and money, which means less tuition to pay and less time spent in the classroom.
This is a detail of Step 4 in the Kaua'i CC Veteran’s Check List – Please be sure to review all steps and
use the Check List to verify you are meeting all requirements for enrollment at KCC
Why do I need to submit my military transcripts?
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs mandates that if you are applying to utilize your GI Bill Educational Benefits all transcripts of your previous Military Training must be evaluated by Kaua'i Community College for possible college credit within two semesters of your enrollment. The evaluation process begins when you the Veteran, request transcripts of your Military Training be sent to Kaua'i CC. Failure to submit transcripts of your Military Training could lead to suspension of benefits and we will not be able to certify you any further (continue your benefits) until your transcripts are submitted and evaluated.
How much does it cost?
There is no charge to have your military transcripts sent to Kaua'i CC or to have them evaluated.
How many credits will I get?
It varies and depends on what type of Military Training you received and what your major is at Kaua'i CC. Not all Military Training will result in college credit, but you should at a minimum receive credit for Basic Training. There is nothing to lose by having your Military Training evaluated. Also, getting college credit for your Military Training could result in earning a degree faster.
What if I don't have any military transcripts?
If you were in the military then you will most likely have military transcripts.
How do I request for my military transcripts & where do I send them to?
Visit the appropriate website below to request for your service branch transcripts.
- 1. ARMY, NAVY, MARINES & COAST GUARD transcripts can all be requested through Joint Services Transcripts (JST) Students using JST will send their transcripts electronically to: Kauai Community College, 3-1901 Kaumualii Hwy., Lihue, HI 96766 (If you do not see Kauai Community College listed in the "drop down menu" pick-list on the website, please let the Veterans’ Support Staff know).
After you have submitted your Transcripts request online, a copy will go to the Registrar. Please call the Registrar to make an appointment for the review of your transcripts (See step 4 in the Kaua'i CC Veteran’s Check List).
- AIR FORCE, CCAF Transcripts: http://www.au.af.mil/au/ccaf/transcripts.asp (Officers may have to contact the Office of the Academic Dean at the University at 334-953-4543). Requests for your Air Force (Community College of the Air Force or Air University) military transcripts must be sent by mail or be made through Credentials Solutions. Please send your CCAF military transcripts to the appropriate address below: Students using CCAF will send their transcripts electronically or via U.S. mail to: Kauai Community College, 3-1901 Kaumualii Hwy., Lihue, HI 96766
If you do not see Kauai Community College llisted in the "drop down menu" pick-list on the website, please let the Veterans’ Support Staff know.
After you have submitted your Transcripts online, a copy will go to the Registrar. Please call the registrar to make an appointment for the review of your transcripts (See step 4 in the Kaua'i CC Veteran’s Check List).
- When you request a copy of your Military Transcripts to be sent to Kauai CC, a copy will also be sent to you via email. Keep this for your records. This is an "Unofficial Copy" that you may refer to during academic counseling.
- The KCC Registrar will only evaluate the "Official Copy" which is sent directly from JST or CCAF.
Kauai Community College Veteran Guidelines related to GI Benefits and Grades
KCC will report "F" grades to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs if you received the "F" grade due to non-attendance. (WHAT TYPE OF PAYBACK IS REQUIRED, IF ANY?)
KCC will report "I" grades to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. If you receive an "I" grade for a course, the VA allows you one calendar year immediately following the end of the term during which it was assigned to make it up. Please notify the Office of the Registrar once a final grade has been assigned by your instructor. If the "I" grade has not been replaced after one year, the VA may retroactively terminate the benefits you received for that course, unless you submit evidence of acceptable mitigating circumstances. (IF THEY DO NOT, DO VETS HAVE TO PAY BACK?)
KCC will report "NC" grades to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, including incomplete or "I" grades that revert to "NC". Unless you have completed additional credits of required full-time coursework that semester or can demonstrate acceptable mitigating circumstances, you will need to repay the benefits you received for that course.
KCC will report "W" grades to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, including the dates of withdrawal. This may result in an overpayment and will include a portion of the tuition and fees that has been paid to the University if you are receiving Post 9-11 (CH 33) GI Bill benefits.
KCC will report academic suspension to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Suspension will result in the termination of your subsistence check(s). Veterans or dependents who accept VA checks after being suspended will be charged an overpayment.
Military Activation & Withdrawals
If a complete withdrawal or leave of absence is necessary due to military activation, submit a copy of your orders to your college academic advisor or Advising office. You will be advised as to your options concerning your enrollment at KCC.