WELCOME TO THE MARINE OPTION PROGRAM AT KAUA'I COMMUNITY COLLEGE!
The Marine Option Program is a University of Hawai‘i systemwide program with participation by students at all universities and community colleges in the UH System, except Kapi‘olani CC. This is an experiential program offering students opportunities to learn about the marine and freshwater environments. Students work with marine scientists in many different areas of interest applying their academic knowledge to the real world while learning practical marine and laboratory skills. The MOP Academic Subject Certificate can then be used when applying for marine-related jobs or for further study at a four-year institution.
Program Admission Requirements
The student must be enrolled at Kaua‘i Community College in the Liberal Arts program.
The student must complete at least twelve total credits including six credits consisting of three required courses (OCN 101, OCN 201, and OCN 199V) and six credits of electives from the table on page 1, including one of the listed laboratory courses.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
- Increased understanding and appreciation of marine and freshwater systems by undergraduates in any major at all UH campuses.
- Enhanced employability and opportunities for advanced study as a result of knowledge, skills, and contacts acquired through experiential education and networking.
GUIDED PATHWAYS TO COMPLETION
Please click on the degree name to expand the tab to read
- OCN 101 (or SCI 199v) (13 credits)
- OCN 201 (3 credits)
- Electives: BIOL 123/123L; BOT 130/130L; CHEM 151/151L, CHEM 161/161L; GG 101/101L; HWST 281; MARE 264*, MARE 364*; MICR 130/140L; OCN 120; PHYS 151/151L, PHYS 170/170L; SCI 121/121L; SSCI 250; ZOOL 101/101L(3 credits)
- OCNSCI 199vV (3 credits)
- Electives: BIOL 123/123L; BOT 130/130L; CHEM 151/151L, CHEM 161/161L; GG 101/101L; HWST 281; MARE 264*, MARE 364*; MICR 130/140L; OCN 120; PHYS 151/151L, PHYS 170/170L; SCI 121/121L; SSCI 250; ZOOL 101/101L (3 credits)
Total credits: 12