Educational Records


Letter grades are used to indicate the quality of work done. Grades are available to you shortly after the end of each semester or summer session through your MyUH Portal (report cards are not mailed).

Change of Major

File this form in person with the Counseling & Advising Office no later than 14 days from the first day of instruction of the Fall or Spring semester, or no later than 4 days from the first day of instruction of the Summer session. Forms received after this deadline with have the new major effective the subsequent term.

Confirmation of Enrollment

If you need the College to confirm your enrollment for medical, employment, or financial assistance purposes, you will need to complete the "Confirmation of Enrollment Request" form at the Admissions & Records Office. The office will verify the number of credits you are registered for, your academic major, and/or your anticipated graduation date.  Confirmations are done only after the subject semester commences.

Changes to Personal Data or address

You should keep the Admissions & Records Office informed of any changes to your name, address, phone number, or citizenship. A current address will insure delivery of important notices from the college. If you are an out-of-state or outer-island student, you should provide your local Kaua`i address upon your arrival to the island.

Complete the "Personal Data or Address Change" form at the Admissions & Records Office and bring official supporting documents, if required, to change or correct the data.  Your mailing address can be changed through your MyUH Portal (but not permanent address).

Post-Secondary School Transcripts

Transcripts are required only if you wish to transfer those credits. You must have official transcripts from EACH non-UH school sent directly by EACH school to the Admissions & Records Office. Transcripts sent via fax or personally delivered/mailed are not acceptable.

You may be exempt from submitting transcripts if you are applying as an unclassified (non-degree seeking) student, and you do not plan to enroll in English or math courses or in courses with English or math prerequisites. You may be exempt from submitting high school transcripts if high school attendance was over 10 years ago and you are not applying for admission into the Nursing program.

After official acceptance to the college, you may submit a Transcript Evaluation Request Form to the Admissions & Records Office to have your transcripts evaluated. The form is available at the Admissions & Records Office. Transfer credits granted will be added to your Kaua`i transcript after you have completed a semester at Kaua`i Community College.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords eligible students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights include:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days after the day Kauai Community College receives a request for access. A student should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, a written request that identifies the record(s) the student wishes to inspect. The school official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the school official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student's education records that the student believes is inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student's privacy rights under FERPA.

    A student who wishes to ask the school to amend a record should write the school official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed.

    If the school decides not to amend the record as requested, the school will notify the student in writing of the decision and the student's right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to provide written consent before the school discloses personally identifiable information (PII) from the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

    The school discloses education records without a student's prior written consent under the FERPA exception for disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by Kauai Community College in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person serving on the board of regents; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee. A school official also may include a volunteer or contractor outside of Kauai Community College who performs an institutional service or function for which the school would otherwise use its own employees and who is under the direct control of the school with respect to the use and maintenance of PII from education records, such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for Kauai Community College.
  4. Parents and spouses of students are advised that information contained in education records, with the exception of directory information, will not be disclosed to them without the prior written consent of the student.
  5. Students are advised that institutional policy and procedures required under FERPA have been published as Administrative Procedure AP 7.022, Procedures Relating to Protection of the Educational Rights and Privacy of Students.  Copies of Administrative Procedure AP 7.022 may be obtained from the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Students.
  6. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Kauai Community College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue
SW Washington, DC  20202


The University of Hawaii system has designated the following information from a student’s education record as "directory information":   

  1. Name of student;
  2. Major field of study;
  3. Class (i.e., freshman, sophomore, etc.);
  4. Past and present participation in officially recognized activities (including positions held and official statistics related to such participation and performance);
  5. Past and present participation in officially recognized sports (including positions held and official statistics related to such participation and performance);
  6. Weight and height of members of athletic teams;
  7. Dates of attendance;
  8. Previous institution(s) attended;
  9. Full or part-time status;
  10. Degree(s) conferred (including dates);
  11. Honors and awards (including dean's list).

A student has the right to request that any or all of the above items not be designated Directory Information with respect to that student. Should a student wish to exercise this right, he or she must in person and in writing, not earlier than the first day of instruction nor later than fourteen calendar days from the first day of instruction for the academic term or semester, or the fourth day of a summer session, inform the Admissions & Records Office which of the above items are not to be disclosed without prior consent of that student.

Note:  Submission of this FERPA nondisclosure of directory information request does not automatically remove students from the UH Online Directory of email addresses, which is accessible only to those with a valid UH email address.
To remove yourself from the UH Online Directory:
Login to MyUH
Select the My Profile Tab
Look for UH Online Directory, Options for Students, select Opt-out

Lists of directory information will not be made publicly available to third parties.

The school may provide the UH Foundation with lists of students with the following information: name, school/college/division/department. Degree, major and minor fields of study, UH email address, home address, and telephone number for the purpose of University and alumni relations.

FERPA Annual Notice Addendum

As of January 3, 2012, the U.S. Department of Education's FERPA regulations expand the circumstances under which your education records and personally identifiable information (PII) contained in such records -- including your Social Security Number, grades, or other private information-- may be accessed without your consent. First, the U.S. Comptroller General, the U.S. Attorney General, the U.S. Secretary of Education, or state and local education authorities ("Federal and State Authorities") may allow access to your records and PII without your consent to any third party designated by a Federal or State Authority to evaluate a federal- or state-supported education program. The evaluation may relate to any program that is "principally engaged in the provision of education” such as early childhood education and job training, as well as any program that is administered by an education agency or institution. Second, Federal and State Authorities may allow access to your education records and PII without your consent to researchers performing certain types of studies, in certain cases even when we object to or do not request such research. Federal and State Authorities must obtain certain use-restriction and data security promises from the entities that they authorize to receive your PII, but the Authorities need not maintain direct control over such entities. In addition, in connection with Statewide Longitudinal Data Systems, State Authorities may collect, compile, permanently retain, and share without your consent PII from your education records, and they may track your participation in education and other programs by linking such PII to other personal information about you that they obtain from other Federal or State data sources, including workforce development,  unemployment insurance, child welfare, juvenile justice, military service, and migrant student records systems.